Submitted and in preparation
- Patil, I., Zucchelli, M. M., Kool, W., Campbell, S., Fornasier, F., Calò, M., Silani, G., Cikara, M. & Cushman, F. (in preparation). Reasoning supports utilitarian resolutions to moral dilemmas across diverse measures.
- Bolenz, F., Kool, W., Reiter, A. M. F., Kiebel, S. J., & Eppinger, B. (in preparation). Meta-control of learning strategies in human aging.
- Kool, W., & Botvinick, M. M. (submitted). A utility map for mental effort.
- Kool, W., Cushman, F. A.*, & Gershman, S. J.* (in preparation). Metacontrol in reinforcement learning.
- Patzelt, E. H., Kool, W., Millner, A. J. & Gershman, S. J. (2019). The transdiagnostic structure of mental effort avoidance. Scientific Reports, 9, 1689.
- Patzelt, E. H., Kool, W., Millner, A. J. & Gershman, S. J. (2019). Incentives boost model-based control across a range of severity on several psychiatric constructs. Biological Psychiatry, 85, 425-433.
- Kool, W., & Botvinick, M. M. (2018). Mental labour. Nature Human Behaviour, 2, 899-908.
- Kool, W., Gershman, S. J.*, & Cushman, F. A.* (2018). Planning complexity registers as a cost in metacontrol. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 30, 1391-1404.
- Kool, W., Gershman, S. J.*, & Cushman, F. A.* (2017). Cost-benefit arbitration between multiple reinforcement learning systems. Psychological Science, 28, 1321-1333.
- Shenhav, A., Musslick, S., Lieder, F., Kool, W., Griffiths, T.L., Cohen, J.D., & Botvinick, M.M. (2017). Towards a rational and mechanistic account of mental effort. Annual Reviews of Neuroscience, 40, 99-124.
- Kool, W., Cushman, F. A.*, & Gershman, S. J.* (2016). When does model-based control pay off? PLOS Computational Biology, e1005090.
- Gold, J.M., Kool, W., Botvinick, M., Hubzin, L., August, S., & Waltz, J. (2015). Cognitive effort avoidance and detection in people with schizophrenia. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience, 15, 145-154.
- Kool, W., Conway, A. R. A., & Turk-Browne, N. B. (2014). Sequential dynamics in visual short-term memory. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 76, 1885-1901.
- Braver, T. S., Krug, M. K., Chiew, K. S., Kool, W., Westbrook, J. A., Clement, N. J., . . ., Somerville, L. H. (2014). Mechanisms of motivation-cognition interaction: challenges and opportunities. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience, 14, 443-472.
- Kool, W., & Botvinick, M. (2014). A labor/leisure trade-off in cognitive control. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 143, 131-141.
- Kool, W., McGuire, J. T., Wang, G. J., & Botvinick, M. M. (2013). Behavioral and neural evidence for an intrinsic cost of self-control. PLOS ONE, 8, e72626.
- Kool, W., Getz, S. J., & Botvinick, M. M. (2013). Neural representation of probability: Evidence from the Illusion of Control. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 25, 852-861.
- Kool, W.*, McGuire, J. T.*, Rosen, Z. B., & Botvinick, M. M. (2010). Decision making and the avoidance of cognitive demand. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 139, 665-682.
- Colzato, L. S.,Kool, W., & Hommel, B. (2008). Stress modulation of visuomotor binding. Neuropsychologia, 46, 1542-1548.
- Kool, W., & Botvinick, M. (2013). The intrinsic cost of cognitive control. Behavioral Brain Sciences, 36, 697-698. Comment on Kurzban, R., Duckworth, A., Kable, J. W., & Myers, J. (2013). An opportunity cost model of subjective effort and task performance.
- Kool, W., Cushman, F. A.*, & Gershman, S. J.* (2018). Competition and cooperation between multiple reinforcement learning systems. In R. W. Morris, A. M. Bornstein, & A. Shenhav (Eds.), Understanding Goal-Directed Decision Making: Computations and Circuits (pp. 153-178). New York, Elsevier.
- Kool, W.*, Shenhav, A. S.*, & Botvinick, M. M. (2017). Cognitive control as cost-benefit decision making. In T. Egner (Ed.), Wiley Handbook of Cognitive Control (pp. 167-189). Chichester, West Sussex, UK: John Wiley & Sons.
* authors contributed equally
The documents distributed here have been provided as a means to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a noncommercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or by other copyright holders, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. It is understood that all persons copying this information will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by these copyrights. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.